Note how often that competition was suggested as a good approach to training.
US Army Training Film TF-24
Musketry & Combat Practice Firing
1935 US Army Training Film
The application and control of collective fire of rifle units (Rifle Squads & Rifle Sections) is called “Musketry.”
This film covers rifle firing skills.
– Reel 1 provides an introduction to methods of estimating range to target.
– Reel 2 shows how unit members communicated knowledge of the target in the field.
– Reel 3 instructs squad leaders on the construction and use of ranges for landscape target firing.
– Reel 4 details technical characteristics of rifle fire and its effects.
– Reel 5 demonstrates the application of rifle firing techniques in field exercises.
– Reel 6 features a schematic drawing of the effect of combat fire.
MSG Rob Mango, USAR Service Pistol Team Coach and SSO (SYSTEMS SUPPORT OFFICER) at TSC (TRAINING SUPPORT CENTER), TECOM, Kaneohe Bay, Marine Corps Base Hawaii, shares the following training presentation.
I made this POI when I was the Chief Marksmanship Instructor for USMC base Hawaii. The notes are my own words and are very specific and correct. Since I made this, I’ve taught it to 8-10 Squad Designated Marksman courses from 2007-2010. The success of my students in theatre was so apparent that TECOM has made most verbiage of my (this) class USMC doctrine. I recommend you play the slideshow on one computer (for animation) and follow along with the notes on another or a printout. I would take the 15-20 minutes to review my wording and pay attention to detail while learning it. Please excuse any grammar mistakes.
I send this to you all because It literally took me 8 yrs (of winning) until the “light” turned on for me, in the specific fundamental of aiming. I hope it helps one of you.
I realize some topics in the POI could be considered “theory”. I am not perfect but I strive for excellence. If you find something questionable, please feel free to tell me about it. I always want to improve my repertoire.
MSG Rob Mango
USAR Service Pistol Team Coach